Senator Stevens Loses His Seat

It's lookin' good! There's a shot at a filibuster-proof Democratic majority. We might even be able to kick Joe Lieberman off all his committees and let him openly become a Republican. Talk about the races collectively or individually here.

Senator Stevens Loses His Seat

Postby Carol Johnson Duharat » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:44 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27789536/. That home improvement really cost him. Senator Stevens, 86, lost his Senate Seat to Mayor Begich in one of the closest Senate races ever.
The Nation has decided to commit the Audacity of Hope
Carol Johnson Duharat
alderman
alderman

Re: Senator Stevens Loses His Seat

Postby Ferguson Foont » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:47 pm

I'll bet that Sarah Palin is chewing on the area rugs, the way Hitler used to do in old Merrie Melodie cartoons during WWII when they would portray him losing his temper. She so badly wanted to appoint herself to the seat that would have emptied when he was expelled.

I don't know whose distress pleases me more, Ted Stevens' or Sarah Palin's.

Now I want that Minnesota recount to put Al Franken in.
Republicans whine and Republicans bitch: "Our rich are too poor, and our poor are too rich."
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Postby Carol Johnson Duharat » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:54 am

I bet she is Ferg. True, Alaska law dictates a Special Election instead, but she could have won that fairly handily and gotten a Senate seat out of the deal. Instead she has to run for a second term as Gov or hit the evangelical fund-raising circuit for national credibility.
It's staggering to think that over 60 percent of the Republican base wants her to run. Unless Obama royally screws up, this would be a fairly easy win..but ever since 1994 I have been skeptical about easy wins. The Republican powers that be don't want her as nominee, but unless they find someone who can unite the various factions, she will be it.

Her finances are clearly a horror show for open government. She has a known ability for very sticky fingers. She is abusive of those who work for her, and those who oppose her. She is clearly vindictive and petty and disloyal to a fault. But as long as she says certain catchphrases that please the Republican base, she is okay. So they overlook these faults that should PERMANENTLY disqualify her for any position higher than the one she has now.

So unless she takes on Lisa Murkowsi in two years in the primary, I expect her to serve out her term as Governor and then hit the fundraising trail of Churches. That is, if she isn't lured into the world of show business televangelism (where she could continue to be feted, and skim off the funds like before)
The Nation has decided to commit the Audacity of Hope
Carol Johnson Duharat
alderman
alderman

Postby Ferguson Foont » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:47 pm

Sarah Palin has a problem. His name is Mike Huckabee. He comes across as more intelligent (not sayin' much), more reasonable (maybe a drawback among the Republican rump), and actually more religious than Sarah Palin, which will undercut a lot of her support.

I would say that I might wish that the Republicans would pick Sarah Palin, but I remember saying that same thing in the late '70s, too, about some actor with political ambitions.

One thing I am sure of -- she will tear the party apart if she thinks she can gain by it, and I wish her well in that particular effort. The Republicans are an impediment to everything we need to do, and anything that weakens them is fine by me.
Republicans whine and Republicans bitch: "Our rich are too poor, and our poor are too rich."
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Return to 2008 Senate Races