Fine Words (4/13/11)

Here is where I shall vent my spleen on whatever political topic might cross my mind on a given day. Comments or responses may be posted to whatever forum might be appropriate to that particular topic.

Fine Words (4/13/11)

Postby Ferguson Foont » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:13 pm

Once again, the Great Capitulator is saying all the right things, speaking all the right words. If only his actions would match those words, Mr. Obama would be another FDR.

Right now he's talking about tax rates. He is trying to achieve what he could have achieved (and then some) five short months ago when chose to break his word to his supporters to do otherwise and extend Bush's absolutely unconscionable tax cuts for the rich.

But he has just squandered his last chance to stand up to the Republican bullies. A temporary government shutdown would have been a small price to pay to take the Republicans and their childish arrogance down a notch, but he capitulated instead. He and Democrats in general would have benefited greatly had he stood and fought as Bill Clinton did in 1995, but instead he folded and gave the Republicans what they wanted, even MORE THAN they asked for when negotiations commenced. I wish I could claim credit for this joke but it comes from the political cartoonist Stu Carlson: What's the difference between a lawn chair and Barack Obama? Obama folds faster.

That was his last chance because the next fight is one where the Republicans have all the leverage. If they hold our debt ceiling hostage, he will have to fold. This time the threat is not a temporary shutdown; it is the full faith and credit of the United States Treasury. If the Republicans do not raise the debt ceiling nobody knows for sure what the result will be, but one likely result will be to turn the dollar into Monopoly money. Gasoline will quickly rise to $10/gallon. Our unemployment rate will rise to, and rapidly through, 15% or 20%. Investment will flee these shores even more rapidly than it has since Reagan screwed things up so bad.

Oh, sure, THEN we'll kick the Republicans out like we did what seems like an eon ago in 2008, but then it will be too late.

So now he's behind the podium speaking fine words. Where were these sentiments on his part when action would have been so preferable? I so wish his actions could have matched, or even approached, his fine words.
Republicans whine and Republicans bitch: "Our rich are too poor, and our poor are too rich."
Ferguson Foont

Return to Foont's Editorials