This Just In: Health Care Mandate Overturned (12/13/10)

Here is where I shall vent my spleen on whatever political topic might cross my mind on a given day. Comments or responses may be posted to whatever forum might be appropriate to that particular topic.

This Just In: Health Care Mandate Overturned (12/13/10)

Postby Ferguson Foont » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:49 pm

Federal District Court Judge Henry Hudson just ruled in favor of Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli's lawsuit against the mandate that we all purchase private health insurance plans, a provision that was contained in Obama's so-called health care "reform" act.

I am no fan of Henry Hudson, who I remember from his days as Arlington County Attorney where he conducted vendettas against video tape rental companies that carried X-rated fare. I am even less of a fan of Ken Cuccinelli, who I regard as a total TEA Party nutcase and whose dangerous bigotry and cruelty and his anti-science crusades besmirch the good name of the Commonwealth of Virginia.

HOWEVER, even stopped clocks are right twice a day, and this is one of those times. When The Great Capitulator, a.k.a. Bend-Over-Backwards Barry, gave away the store on health care reform, abandoning the Medicare for All that we all wanted in favor of this ridiculous welfare plan for health insurers, it was a mistake the magnitude of which was reflected in the recent election results, and now in the incremental destruction of his Rube Goldberg plan.

I DEEPLY resent any unavoidable legal mandate that I purchase any product from a profit-making company, particularly when those profits are as obscene as those of health insurers and whose product is as totally worthless. I mean, no health insurer has ever cured anyone's disease, mended any kid's broken leg, or delivered anyone's baby. All they do is take their cut, their ENORMOUS cut, of our health care dollars like a protection racket, and provide LESS THAN nothing in return.

This is not like Medicare, where the service is mandatory but provided by the government without profit. Nor is it like the mandates for automobile insurance, where you can avoid being the customer of Geico or Progressive by choosing not to drive a car. You cannot choose not to have a body. The insurance doesn't protect innocent, totally unwitting others as does auto liability insurance but instead protects the purchaser exclusively.

The Public Option, which Obama frittered away in his never-ending efforts to appear "reasonable" to his unreasonable foes on the right, would have cut the logic out from under this ruling. Of course, Medicare for All would have made the arguments in favor of Cuccinelli's case utterly nonsensical.

I want America to join the rest of the civilized world and deliver health care as a right of citizenship. I do NOT want my health care decisions made by insurance company clerks whose loyalty, and career aspirations, are tied to how many valid claims they are able to deny. Forcing me to become a customer of theirs is an unfair, unjust, and now demonstrably unconstitutional solution.
Republicans whine and Republicans bitch: "Our rich are too poor, and our poor are too rich."
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Return to Foont's Editorials