The One Deal I Might Make (12/11/10)

Here is where I shall vent my spleen on whatever political topic might cross my mind on a given day. Comments or responses may be posted to whatever forum might be appropriate to that particular topic.

The One Deal I Might Make (12/11/10)

Postby Ferguson Foont » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:01 pm

There is only one way I would agree to support any deal with the Republicans that gave them their insane tax cuts for the rich and continue to support anyone who went along with the deal.

In return for any extension of that INSANE ripoff of the American people, and it is genuinely insane under the present economic circumstances, would be if it included a provision to automatically extend the debt ceiling until the Federal government runs a surplus again, without requiring any further congressional votes on the subject, and any alteration to that one provision would require a 3/4ths supermajority of BOTH houses. Then, and ONLY then, could I support the deal or any of the parties who strike that deal.

You must understand, the Republicans are now quite certain, as am I, that they have a real patsy on their hands in the White House. If they threaten him with anything that might damage the economy, he will immediately give them whatever they want in his craven cowardice and turn around and berate his friends and supporters to whom he owes his position should they have the temerity to point out that the deals he is striking with his implacable foes are bad ones for the American people and for America's future.

But coming up in February will be a legislative opportunity that the Republicans will not be able to forego. Our national debt will hit the existing debt ceiling, which must be raised or the United States will face its first default in our history. The "full faith and credit of the United States" will become a thing of the past, and all of our lives will change in ways beyond any that might be caused by any raise to our taxes or termination of unemployment benefits. Everything, Medicare, military pay, justice, literally EVERYTHING our government does will be placed at grave risk, and much will be irretrievably lost.

The Republicans have this huge debt ceiling bludgeon to hold over Obama's head, even though The Great Capitulator has already shown his willingness to give up when confronted with far less dire threats than this. And they can use it repeatedly, at ever-quicker intervals as the tax deal increases the deficit severely and makes us run up against any subsequent debt ceiling sooner and sooner than the last.

If the Republicans are willing to give up this political leverage in return for the leverage Obama has given them for 2012 by his extension, maybe then it will be still a bad deal but at least a barely acceptable one. Right now it is absolutely unacceptable and the correct course of action is to oppose it and let the taxes rise as was intended when the cuts were initially enacted. Then we must make the Republicans pay the political price for their petulance, arch-partisanship and dangerous irresponsibility rather than just offering the mealy-mouthed criticisms (followed far too often by inexplicable apologies) that we have offered so far.

Bend-Over-Backward Barry makes me sick. I am so embarrassed to have been his supporter, but I guess a lot of us were fooled. The Great Capitulator has GOT to go.
Republicans whine and Republicans bitch: "Our rich are too poor, and our poor are too rich."
Ferguson Foont

Return to Foont's Editorials