And Now For Something COMPLETELY Different (10/21/09)

Here is where I shall vent my spleen on whatever political topic might cross my mind on a given day. Comments or responses may be posted to whatever forum might be appropriate to that particular topic.

And Now For Something COMPLETELY Different (10/21/09)

Postby Ferguson Foont » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:34 pm

There is, periodically and sporadically, a push to get the Washington Redskins to change their name. Supposedly the name "Redskins" is offensive to the Native American community to the extent that it causes such great consternation among those who are easily consternated by such things that it is now the subject of a case before the United States Supreme Court.

This seems a bit odd to me, I'm a lifelong fan of the Washington Redskins. I love the Redskins with their name just as it is. No fair weather fan I! But this seems like much ado about nothing, or at least very near nothing.

I'm certainly no fan of racism or any of its trappings except as a bludgeon we can use against Republicans who pander to it. Despite the fact that the original owner of the Redskins, George Preston Marshall, was genuinely a racist and changed the name from the "Braves" to the Redskins when he moved the team to D.C. from Boston in 1937, I don't think that it was his intent (as it was in so many other aspects of his life) to be offensive, whether to Native Americans or anyone else. And I don't think that anyone is actually offended by it except those who obey when they are told to be offended by something.

HOWEVER, maybe it is time to change the name to the Hogs. The only impediment I can see, since we already have a significant spiritual and marketing stake in the Hog motif, is how we might fit that name into "Hail to the Redskins," a song of such exquisite quality that there is NO WAY ON EARTH I would ever agree with anything that gave it up.

Hail to the Hoggies.
Hail Victory.
Hogs in the Pigsty.
Fight for old D.C.

Snort 'em. Slop 'em.
We are gonna take 'em.
Snuffle truffles.
We'll bring home the bacon.

Fight on, fight on,
'Til you have won,
Hogs of Waaaa-shing-ton.

OINK! OINK! OINK!

Hail to the Hoggies.
Hail Victory.
Hogs in the Pigsty.
Fight for old D.C.

Heck, we could even change that STUPID, totally irrelevant "FedEx Field" name to "The Pigsty." Wouldn't that be cool?
Republicans whine and Republicans bitch: "Our rich are too poor, and our poor are too rich."
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Return to Foont's Editorials