Problems, Anyone?

Discussions of the technical issues involving this forum, phpBB, Unix, computers in general, and whatnot, including suggested features or styles.

Problems, Anyone?

Postby Ferguson Foont » Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:30 am

Is anyone having problems reading or viewing anything on this forum as they think they should be? Do you have to scroll right and left to see the entire page?

Tell me about it here. On my PC I have no problems at all, but Kali finds some threads, usually those with posts containing images, where she cannot display the entire horizontal page even though the images themselves are not wide enough to cause this. She has to use a horizontal scrollbar at the bottom of her browser, which is an annoyance. Her PC is more primitive than mine and I am unable to replicate her problem, but maybe you can.
Republicans whine and Republicans bitch: "Our rich are too poor, and our poor are too rich."
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Postby Josiah Bartlett » Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:39 am

My video is set for 1024 x 768 (right click in middle of desktop, Properties, Settings). I usually open up to a full screen view and it looks great. An older, lower resolution video card may be the problem.

I've been using the "show posts since last visit" command and it takes me to threads with new posts. The only thing I could ask for is to see the forum page open with the oldest unread message first so I could start reading where I left off.

Oh yeah, spell check would be nice.

No complaint though. It's a small price to pay. Few forums manage to maintain such consistently interesting discussion.

Thanks again for all your work FF.

JB
I too represent the Democratic side of the Democratic Party.
Josiah Bartlett
Congressman
Congressman

Good Points

Postby Ferguson Foont » Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:21 am

I would very much like to be able to display threads starting with the last post the reader has already viewed, like we had on Worldcrossing. This is not an option available in the administrative configuration, or if it is I haven't been able to locate it and I've looked VERY hard.

But obviously the software retains enough information somewhere to identify the last post viewed, because it knows when you were last on and shows you where there are new posts. I don't know where it stores this data or in what form. It SHOULD BE able to display threads like we want, but I need to get a lot more familiar with PHP to develop the capability to make it.

I HATE having to scroll down from the top every time. I could make the pages shorter, but that lessens one hassle while creating another.

Regarding spell checkers, I don't like them and I never use them. I wish they didn't exist. Sloppy writing and sloppy thinking go hand-in-hand, and spell checkers mask sloppy thinking. Proofreading is an important skill.
Republicans whine and Republicans bitch: "Our rich are too poor, and our poor are too rich."
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Postby D H » Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:00 pm

Regarding spell checkers, I don't like them and I never use them. I wish they didn't exist. Sloppy writing and sloppy thinking go hand-in-hand, and spell checkers mask sloppy thinking. Proofreading is an important skill.

Agreed, and spellcheckers also don't do a damn thing about grammatical errors.

BTW, Ferg, I'm probably the wrong guy to ask about scroll-off-the-right problems. I have large monitors at work and home, and run in 1280x1024 mode in both places.
<font size=-1>The whole nation is suffering from monkeypox; a monkey is in the White House, and it's a pox on us all.</font>
D H
Senator
Senator

Postby Ferguson Foont » Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:48 pm

D H wrote:BTW, Ferg, I'm probably the wrong guy to ask about scroll-off-the-right problems. I have large monitors at work and home, and run in 1280x1024 mode in both places.

I too work in 1280x1024 under XP on an old ViewSonic A75f, which is NOT certified for XP, but I have no problem. Kali had the problem on her 1024x768 Mitsubishi LCD monitor, but there is PLENTY of apparent space to display the entire window without scrolling. This may have something to do with the video or monitor drivers under 98se. It actually makes no sense to me (because THAT makes no sense for sure) and I'm almost tempted to reload her MSIE to see if maybe it has become corrupted in some minor way.
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Postby David Campo » Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:40 am

What happened to the ability to edit after posting? Sure, there's the preview option, but sometimes editing is necessary. I know this used to be available, but it's disappeared, at least this morning. Thanks. (third party thread)
David Campo
Statesman
Statesman

It's Back, for Now

Postby Ferguson Foont » Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:36 am

For the moment I have restored the edit function. See, I can't time-limit it like was done on Worldcrossing. You can edit a post forever, and I don't want that.

If I had my druthers, the edit capability would disappear as soon as a subsequent post was submitted to the thread. But this version (the latest) of this software has it all-or-nothing, never or forever.

I hope they add this feature in a future version. I will keep it upgraded constantly to the most recent level.
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

"New Message" indicators have disappeared

Postby Gerry Stewart » Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:34 am

Strange. When I logged in this morning, there were a number of the orange thingeys indicating new messages. Then I lost my connection, and when I logged in again, all the new message indicators were gone. That is most inconvenient, to put it mildly!
Gerry Stewart
voter
voter

Yes

Postby Ferguson Foont » Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:59 pm

That's happened to me, too. There's nothing I can do about it and I think that it's a problem that the next release will correct as a byproduct of the new way it determines what you've seen already.

You can look down the RIGHT-HAND column, however, to see the date and time of the most recent post to a thread. That's not quite as direct but, in the case of outages like yours, it'll have to do for now.
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Looking forward to the next release!

Postby Gerry Stewart » Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:00 pm

Thanks for your quick response, Ferguson. I'm glad it wasn't just me!
I was afraid I had accidentally hit some "mark as read" button I've never noticed. Now, after logging off and logging in again, the "new message" indicators seem to be working (only with regard to messages since I was last here), and I'll go by the last message dates for catching up, as you suggest.
Gerry Stewart
voter
voter

Postby Cyberia » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:37 pm

"Edit" go bye-bye.

Was it supposed to?
Cyberia
Statesman
Statesman

Postby Ferguson Foont » Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:25 am

Yes. It's gone and won't be back until, in the upcoming release of v. 2.2 of the phpBB software, it has a time limit to it.

This is because one disgruntled former member, upset that I had deleted a post of his that I, in my unappealable caprice, found objectionable, came in and trashed all of his previous submissions using the edit feature. That WILL NOT HAPPEN AGAIN, so that one bad apple has caused me to temporarily suspend the edit function until I can implement it with appropriate restrictions.

It's a hassle, but that's the way it's going to be for now. If you want something edited you can either cut and paste its content into a new post and I will delete the first one as soon as I notice it, or you can send me a private message and I will perform the edit for you. Please take advantage of the "Preview" feature, however, which does have unlimited edit capability.

I saved a backup I made just prior to his vandalism and will restore the information from the vandalized posts in some form when I am in more of a mood to do it.
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Postby Cyberia » Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:06 pm

Thank you, Oh, Noble Administrator!

My web-computer's so small.
It's almost not there at all.
So, when something goes "missing" -
I wonder what it's been "kissing" -
.... and whether it's caught web-V.D.

Will do Preview.
Cyberia
Statesman
Statesman

Postby harper pine » Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:02 pm

I couldn't get my computer to go to BKP all day. Was something down, or was it me?
harper pine
Statesman
Statesman

Postby Ferguson Foont » Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:26 am

I have only been on a couple of times today, once this morning and once this afternoon, both times without any difficulties. I do not know of any outage, but meetings and overtime football games have made it so that I haven't tried this evening until now.

This server has never been down any time I have ever tried it ever since I got my account. I use it for email, my own web pages, web pages I do for other organizations, and all sorts of stuff, and it has NEVER failed (as far as I know).
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Postby Kali » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:13 pm

I'm having a strange problem posting/reading here at work today. I log in, read one of the new posts, then click on the index page again, and I've been logged out! When this happens, I discovered that if I hit the index link again, from there, it automatically logs me back in. But, if I DON'T do that, the index page I'm on shows me I'm viewing as a guest (and I can't see any of the new posts).

Weird.

I never had this happen before.
Kali
Queen
Queen

Postby Ferguson Foont » Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:58 pm

I'm not having such a problem. Hmmm. Let me see if I can correct it.
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Postby D H » Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:19 pm

Kali, that may be a firewall at your work, one that has a really crappy caching system.

We have the same problem where I work, and complete refreshes of page loads where you haven't been in a while are often necessary. :cry:
<font size=-1>The whole nation is suffering from monkeypox; a monkey is in the White House, and it's a pox on us all.</font>
D H
Senator
Senator

Postby Ferguson Foont » Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:24 am

I think it was the configuration of her web browser at work, but why it may have changed is a mystery. Persistent login on this and most other similar services is controlled by session cookies and evidently her system was not recording them. This became apparent when the same behavior was encountered on other membership sites like the New York Times.

We had a slightly different problem reported by a new member who was unable to access this site at the "home" URL http://www.bareknuckles.org/bkp . This problem remains a puzzle, made more intriguing by the fact that they CAN access the site by entering in http://www.bareknucklespolitics.com, which is simply a meta tag redirect to this site.

I still haven't figured that one out, and both URLs work fine from here.
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Postby Mudshark » Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:13 pm

Had a picture I wanted to use as an avatar, but couldn't upload it. Is this feature working? What do I need to do?
Mudshark
voter
voter

Next

Return to Technical Matters, Suggestions, Etc.