Has Anyone Seen the Old BKP?

Discussions of the technical issues involving this forum, phpBB, Unix, computers in general, and whatnot, including suggested features or styles.

Has Anyone Seen the Old BKP?

Postby Ferguson Foont » Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:49 pm

I have been unable to access the old BKP on Worldcrossing's wc1 server, or even the newer, temporary BKP Refuge on Worldcrossing's wc3 server, for two days now.

They appear to have taken the system down entirely.
Republicans whine and Republicans bitch: "Our rich are too poor, and our poor are too rich."
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Postby Rosemary » Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:50 am

I am subscribed to a forum on wc5 which is still accessible. When I log in, it is the only forum name displayed on "My Forums" page. It is one of the first two forums (maybe the only ones?) that got moved to the new server, so I've been told. Both of the forums that were so moved had been very heavily used. (among the top 5 or 6)

[well, that is how it has been for the last two days, but I have not checked in recent hours]
Rosemary
alderman
alderman

I Can't Get In

Postby Ferguson Foont » Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:39 am

I get 404 errors when I try to get directly to my forum on wc3 (the "Refuge"). On wc1 and wc5 I can get to the welcome page and can login successfully, but it shows that I am not a host or member of any forum. Clicking on the link to the World Crossing Fallout Shelter gives me another 404.

What have they done? Have they deleted all the old forums? If so I goddam well want my $30 back.
Republicans whine and Republicans bitch: "Our rich are too poor, and our poor are too rich."
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Postby Rosemary » Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:48 pm

WC seems to have been running well today. All forums I was subscribed to are listed on "my forums" page, and I was able to access all but one without going through a second log-in. There seems to be no "odd/even hours" enforcement. But the entire place seems deserted. The only live people I found were at Democrats Online (the new refuge one) and the "Fallout Shelter."
Rosemary
alderman
alderman

They're Back

Postby Ferguson Foont » Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:56 pm

Worldcrossing is back and seems to be working well. They've turned NNTP access back on, so I'm striking while the iron is hot and spending the evening archiving to my hard drive all of the threads on the original BKP and I'm thinking of ways of making them accessible from here.

I'm not sure I can put it fully online actually integrated into this database, which is too bad because then it would have been hit by the search feature, but I will at least make each thread viewable as a web page of its own and you'll be able to use your browser's search ("Edit/Find in page") on it. I will have to put in a STRONG warning not to try to use it from a dial-up connections, because some of the individual pages will be multiple megabytes.

When this task is complete I am going to shut down the old Worldcrossing forum(s) to new posts, and they will eventually be deleted by Worldcrossing's automated service.

It's a shame really. We had only a week or so to go when they took it down way back on Memorial Day weekend before it took its millionth hit on Worldcrossing.
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Postby David Campo » Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:33 pm

Ferg, it's a MIRACLE! WC is back up, after what...three months?

Amazingly, some of the forums have picked up where they left off. Others are understandably dead.

Thank you for creating this place...our new home! :P
David Campo
Statesman
Statesman

Progress

Postby Ferguson Foont » Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:32 am

I have downloaded the ENTIRE old BKP, including the Refuge and the Archives, to my hard drive. It will take me a while to present it here, and it will still not be fully functional as postings here but just web pages, each containing an entire thread, accessed by a page I have rendered to approximate our old index.

It will be a while because I have to perform some truly SERIOUS text editing, for which I am employing MS Word macros, in order to make this presentable. Understand that this is about 44,000 posts over two and a half years, not a trivial task.

A complication has set in wherein my computer's CPU sounds a weird, European-siren-sounding alarm whenever I try to run the macros. It doesn't like sustained 99% CPU usage, and my nerves are not solid enough to stand the "DEEE-daaa-DEEE-daaa" siren sound for long at a single sitting.

DAMMIT I WANT MY WORD PERFECT BACK! It was way easier on the system. Maybe I'll try OOO Write, which I have never gotten into much, doing most of my typing here, or in basic text editors, or in my email clients instead. I've never tried OOO Write's macro function and perhaps its features are more suitable.

Or maybe I'll go over to my Linux box and do it in sed or awk.
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Postby D H » Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:46 am

Or maybe I'll go over to my Linux box and do it in sed or awk.

That's a better idea, but I'd suggest Perl for the task.
<font size=-1>The whole nation is suffering from monkeypox; a monkey is in the White House, and it's a pox on us all.</font>
D H
Senator
Senator

Postby DaMayor » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:12 am

Ferguson--

I thought you'd like to know that someone named TurnLeft has recently started a new forum at worldcrossing.com called "Bare Knuckles Politics!"

Here is the link: http://worldcrossing.com/WebX?14@@.1dde64e7
DaMayor
Senator
Senator

Postby harper pine » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:27 am

How pathetic. Can't even come up with his own raison d'être.
harper pine
Statesman
Statesman

Postby Ferguson Foont » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:22 am

This is typical. TurnLeft is an idiot.
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Postby Ferguson Foont » Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:06 pm

I have taken the rather pointless link to the old BKP off the front page because nobody but me can access it anymore. Although WC has left all the data on their server, it seems that only I and their technical staff have access to it. I can still access the administrative pages but I cannot change any of the settings, and they deleted all the user accounts.

They did this out of pure, childish spite, and they did it without discussion or notification to me. I have had some contact with their personnel and have received nothing from them but falsehoods and snide comments.

BKP was one of the first forums on their service (the 29th to be created, I believe). For most of its 2-1/2-year life until their incompetence made the service unavailable for such an extended period (two months) last year it was generally in the top 30 forums in usage, and the top political forum of all. For a while in 2002 it rose as high as #16 in their rankings.

The reason they gave for this otherwise unprecedented step? "We felt that BKP wasn't a good fit for WorldCrossing."

So I will continue to go on it often enough to prevent deletion under their rules for inactive forums. I have already downloaded all the data but parsing it will require far more time than I can find for such a task.

This is a right-wingnut thing. We wouldn't understand.
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Return to Technical Matters, Suggestions, Etc.