The Next Release of This Software

Discussions of the technical issues involving this forum, phpBB, Unix, computers in general, and whatnot, including suggested features or styles.

The Next Release of This Software

Postby Ferguson Foont » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:59 pm

No visible progress has been made for months by the folks at phpBB, the creators of this software.

Note that I said "visible" progress. By this I mean visible to us here on BKP, where I only install stable releases when available, and patches for this release whenever. The installation of new releases will be announced in advance; patches are installed immediately when I discover they have become available and y'all are none the wiser.

This does not mean that the programmers are not working furiously to get the next release, v. 2.2, out when it is finally ready. New builds of the developmental "snapshots" are posted literally on an hourly basis, each of which differs in size from the previous snapshot. This, to me, indicates that they ain't just whistlin' Dixie and we might see something soon.

The developmental versions are called v. 2.1.x, none of which will be installed here. I am really looking forward to the new release because, if I understand the new feature set properly, it will permit me to, in turn, permit you to edit your posts again after submission (for a limited period of time following the post).

I'd like that. I don't like playing the tyrant (although I am often described otherwise).
Republicans whine and Republicans bitch: "Our rich are too poor, and our poor are too rich."
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Return to Technical Matters, Suggestions, Etc.