How about some tech feedback from the proprietor?

Discussions of the technical issues involving this forum, phpBB, Unix, computers in general, and whatnot, including suggested features or styles.

How about some tech feedback from the proprietor?

Postby D H » Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:50 pm

Ferg, I know a number of people (myself included) inclined to start their own phpBB forums. If you could give a running commentary on your thoughts, likes and dislikes as they strike you, I know I'd appreciate it.
<font size=-1>The whole nation is suffering from monkeypox; a monkey is in the White House, and it's a pox on us all.</font>
D H
Senator
Senator

Hmmmm...

Postby Ferguson Foont » Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:29 pm

D H, just as I have a problem with blogs, I have a problem with the dilution of all the various sources of internet information that such a proliferation of sites inevitably causes.

Bare-Knuckles Politics has been around for a very long time, although this form of it is only a few days old. It has always been better when it's been heavily used, which it will never be if everyone is posting someplace else instead.

I used to get paid good money for helping set up things like this. I have one major suggestion for the developers of the software, however. Allow a default to the "collapsed" version of the main index.

If we do not hang together, we surely will all hang separately.
Republicans whine and Republicans bitch: "Our rich are too poor, and our poor are too rich."
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Table Caveat

Postby Ferguson Foont » Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:45 am

Take care when trying to enter HTML tables in this software. I just discovered the hard way that, in order for them to display correctly, ALL hard returns must be removed.

I haven't tried it with BBCode turned off, but it seems to add {BR /} (replace { with < for the actual code) strings wherever you put hard returns, which lie outside of table cells and therefore are "printed" on the browser display above the table.
Republicans whine and Republicans bitch: "Our rich are too poor, and our poor are too rich."
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Return to Technical Matters, Suggestions, Etc.