Asking for Suggestions

Discussions of the technical issues involving this forum, phpBB, Unix, computers in general, and whatnot, including suggested features or styles.

Asking for Suggestions

Postby Ferguson Foont » Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:57 pm

This is the brand-new, subject to change at the drop of a hat, Bare-Knuckles Politics. I don't know how long it will take before I get it looking and feeling how I want it, so there may be a lot of changes for quite some time to come as I become more familiar with this software.

Only I can create broad topics and forums, so I welcome any suggestions from y'all for additions and modifications. Participants have the ability to create threads and posts so you're on your own there. I would prefer, however, that you keep the flippancy in thread titles to a minimum.

Please put your suggestions and requests here in this thread by hitting the "Post Reply" button (which is how, for the moment at least, you submit posts on this software)..
Republicans whine and Republicans bitch: "Our rich are too poor, and our poor are too rich."
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

A Helpful Navigating Hint

Postby Ferguson Foont » Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:53 am

Note that on the top-level index page, you can click on one of the "topics" and the others will collapse. I wish we could default to that collapsed view.
Republicans whine and Republicans bitch: "Our rich are too poor, and our poor are too rich."
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

OK, I Think I've Solved One Problem

Postby Ferguson Foont » Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:23 pm

I think I have regular HTML working now for a limited subset of tags, including table tags.

I have it working for:<UL><LI>p
<LI>br
<LI>b
<LI>i
<LI>u
<LI>pre
<LI>blockquote
<LI>font
<LI>img
<LI>a
<LI>table
<LI>tr
<LI>th
<LI>td
<LI>ol
<LI>ul
<LI>li
<LI>hr
<LI>center
<LI>strike</UL>It accepts all the arguments and parameters you might normally feed to these tags, evidently, just like HTML.

If you want more tags, ask and thou MIGHT receive.

Note that it doesn't work EXACTLY like regular HTML if you have BBCode turned ON. BBCode accepts hard returns that standard HTML ignores, so a BR tag at the end of a line will give a blank line before the next text, and a P tag on a blank line leaves a triplespace rather than a doublespace.
Last edited by Ferguson Foont on Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Postby Josiah Bartlett » Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:30 pm

Does this software support maintaining a members history? One thing I liked about WC was that when I logged in I could continue reading where I left off and not have to scroll or page through items I had already read. Is this an available option?

JB
I too represent the Democratic side of the Democratic Party.
Josiah Bartlett
Congressman
Congressman

A problem (maybe)

Postby D H » Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:53 pm

When trying to upload my own avatar pic, I get errors all over the screen, indicating that likely the dir ownership permissions are pretty dialed down. Probably too tightly to allow the pic to be saved there.

If you wish to keep it that way, Ferg, I understand completely.
<font size=-1>The whole nation is suffering from monkeypox; a monkey is in the White House, and it's a pox on us all.</font>
D H
Senator
Senator

Postby D H » Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:05 pm

Ferg, under the Miscellany section, can we get a folder for the Arts?

We lost another giant today, Katharine Hepburn. Recently, Gregory Peck was also lost, and they were both important in the arts, and as old fashioned, original style Hollywood liberals.
<font size=-1>The whole nation is suffering from monkeypox; a monkey is in the White House, and it's a pox on us all.</font>
D H
Senator
Senator

Postby Ferguson Foont » Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:02 pm

I have the options set properly for optionally storing avatars here, but it will reject avatar files larger than 10K bytes or images larger than 100x100 pixels.

In any event I would prefer that you serve them from a web-accessible site rather than store them here. I have about 100MB of space for this forum and I don't want to burn it out.
Last edited by Ferguson Foont on Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Postby D H » Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:34 am

No problem, Ferg, and thanks for the explanation.
D H
Senator
Senator

Postby D H » Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:46 pm

BTW, as everybody should be able to tell, I have a link to an off site avatar. If anybody wants pointers on how to use Geocities as a spot to serve up an avatar pic, just ask.
D H
Senator
Senator

Postby Gerry Stewart » Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:29 pm

DH, I can't see your avatar. :cry:
Gerry Stewart
voter
voter

Postby D H » Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:48 pm

OK Gerry, I think I have that fixed now.
D H
Senator
Senator

Well. no.

Postby Ferguson Foont » Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:22 pm

No, in fact you don't have it fixed, D H. What are you trying to do?
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Postby D H » Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:04 pm

OK, I have my avatar specified as a link to a graphic on an external site via URL (in my profile):

http://www.geocities.com/dh100h/strangelove8.jpg
D H
Senator
Senator

Ta DAAAAAAAAA!

Postby Ferguson Foont » Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:22 pm

Success!
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Answering my own question

Postby Josiah Bartlett » Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:21 am

I found the "View posts since last visit" button. It lists the threads that have new posts. I still have to scroll through the old posts but I can go directly to the thread. I still have to scroll through the older posts but I can get to the new material faster.

JB
I too represent the Democratic side of the Democratic Party.
Josiah Bartlett
Congressman
Congressman

Check this out.

Postby Kali » Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:28 pm

At the bottom of each thread (topic) there's a selection you can make as to how much you view. I'm not sure what it ends up looking like, as I haven't tried it, but ... check it out for yourself. At the bottom of each thread you will see:

All Posts
1 Day
7 Days
2 Weeks
1 Month
3 Months
6 Months
1 Year
Oldest First
Newest First
Kali
Queen
Queen

Addition to Permissible HTML

Postby Ferguson Foont » Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:23 pm

I have added the <strike>snargle</strike> strike tag among the HTML tags you can enter as HTML in your posts.
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Postby harper pine » Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:43 pm

Is there a way, when you're looking at the forum index, to click something so the whole thing shows all the topics in each forum? A lot of times I want to respond to something I saw but can't remember exactly where it was without opening and closing a lot of forums and topics.
harper pine
Statesman
Statesman

Try Search

Postby Ferguson Foont » Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:34 am

You can't see all the posts in all the topics in a single view, if that's what you're asking, or expand down an additional level from the top-level index.

But if you saw something and don't remember where it was, you can do a search on text strings you know were in the post you seek. The results of your search will give you all posts that contained that text string.

The search feature is accessed at the top of the page, the second link in the little table of links following the introductory blurb.
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Return to Technical Matters, Suggestions, Etc.