Geek Yakkin' and Braggin'

Discussions of the technical issues involving this forum, phpBB, Unix, computers in general, and whatnot, including suggested features or styles.

Geek Yakkin' and Braggin'

Postby D H » Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:57 pm

By braggin', I DON'T mean 'I can normalize that DB bettern' you, and QUICKER, too... NYAHHHH!!!'. I mean as in 'look at this cool-o new thing I got!!!'.

Room for general geek-a-zoid chit chat, too.
<font size=-1>The whole nation is suffering from monkeypox; a monkey is in the White House, and it's a pox on us all.</font>
D H
Senator
Senator

Postby D H » Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:04 pm

Went to a 'puter show this weekend, and picked up the following goodies:

- A fat new Gigabyte motherboard with a VIA Kt-600 chipset and Serial ATA, ATA-133, Firewire, USB 2.0, 100 Base-T, 6 channel audio, RAID (and a partridge in a pear tree) built in.

- An Athlon XP 2500+ processor (has the Barton core, so it's a 333 mHz front side bus).

- The show ran out of SATA drives too damn fast, but I found a place online that had Western Digital models, so I got a 120 Gb screamer with a 8 Mb cache for $120 bucks even. And, 2nd day shipping, FREE.

The kids get the guts of my current system, and I'll move this into my case.

Mmmmmm... new hardware jones... :mrgreen:
<font size=-1>The whole nation is suffering from monkeypox; a monkey is in the White House, and it's a pox on us all.</font>
D H
Senator
Senator

Postby Ferguson Foont » Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:47 pm

Nice, but I just saw an ad for that WD 120GB/7200RPM drive for...

(Wait for it...)

$69! Of course, to get down to the final price you have to deal with their rebate ordeal, but nevertheless, this deal is at...

(Wait for it again...)

Circuit City?

I remember paying $2,000 apiece for 500 MB drives for my IBM RS/6000s back in the early '90s and thinking I'd gotten a real bargain.

I keep seeing warnings that 1 and 4 GB SD chips, that I can put in my digital camera, are on the way, but I don't see 'em in stores. The idea of a 4GB SD chip blows my mind.
Republicans whine and Republicans bitch: "Our rich are too poor, and our poor are too rich."
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Postby D H » Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:10 am

Ferguson Foont wrote:Nice, but I just saw an ad for that WD 120GB/7200RPM drive for...

(Wait for it...)

$69! Of course, to get down to the final price you have to deal with their rebate ordeal, but nevertheless, this deal is at...

(Wait for it again...)

Circuit City?

That's a good deal, but A) that's probably an ATA-133 drive and not Serial ATA, and B) I took a solemn vow NOT to buy stuff at Circuit City, seeing as though they've been a pain in the ass in several ways over the years.

I remember paying $2,000 apiece for 500 MB drives for my IBM RS/6000s back in the early '90s and thinking I'd gotten a real bargain.

Heck yeah. I remember the first 500+ Mb drive I ever had for my home system. It was in '94, and it was an IBM drive. IBM invented magneto resistive heads, and came out with an IDE, 540 Mb drive for the unheard of cheap price of $250 (reseller pricing; yeah, I got it through a dealer friend). That drive was SOLID, and it's still in my house someplace, still usable.

I keep seeing warnings that 1 and 4 GB SD chips, that I can put in my digital camera, are on the way, but I don't see 'em in stores. The idea of a 4GB SD chip blows my mind.

Unreal. I tell ya, the Buck Rogers predictions from the 50's and 60's haven't come true in many ways, but it still keeps happening every year for computer geeks. :D
D H
Senator
Senator

Postby Ferguson Foont » Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:45 am

I remember back at things like the New York World's Fair that the coming thing would be picture phones. Nobody, however, ever anticipated cellular phones, which are the only way picture phones could ever have become acceptable to a public who would prefer not to have to put on a bathrobe to answer the phone in their home.

And now we finally have picture phones, but they're invariably cellular.

I may build my next computer myself from parts. I will go high-end all the way. I might even go with that new 64-bit Athlon.
Republicans whine and Republicans bitch: "Our rich are too poor, and our poor are too rich."
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Postby D H » Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:39 pm

Ferguson Foont wrote:I remember back at things like the New York World's Fair that the coming thing would be picture phones. Nobody, however, ever anticipated cellular phones, which are the only way picture phones could ever have become acceptable to a public who would prefer not to have to put on a bathrobe to answer the phone in their home.

Hehehe... even with the bathrobe, what housewife wants to be seen by friends in rollers and sweats? I can remember my mom and aunts looking at predictions for stuff like that swearing they would NEVER get one. Besides appearance, they didn't want anybody to see their houses un-picked up.

Ferguson Foont wrote:I may build my next computer myself from parts. I will go high-end all the way. I might even go with that new 64-bit Athlon.

I highly recommend that. Not only is it less expensive, you can pick components based on price, quality, expandability and repairability. I sure like being able to fix my box myself rather than being forced to ship it out and be without a computer for a couple of weeks.

Needless to say, upgrading your system a component or two at a time is also a lot cheaper than buying a whole new box, too.
D H
Senator
Senator

Postby Ferguson Foont » Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:47 pm

I also figure that 64-bit is the only way to go unless I want to do it again in a year. I remember when the 80386 came out and everything went to 32-bit, all the 16-bit apps disappeared REAL quick.

The AMD is backward-compatible. The Intel Itanium is not. Is Intel TRYING to go out of business?
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Postby David Campo » Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:38 am

http://www.avantbrowser.com

It's just a shell browser which goes over Internet Explorer, but I've been playing around with Avant Browser and LOVE IT! A built-in pop-up stopper, tiling like Opera, and my favorite feature, true FullScreen usage with mouse-over for all functions. This increases the size of you usable monitor space incredibly. It also imports all your IE favorites automatically.
David Campo
Statesman
Statesman

Postby D H » Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:59 am

Not bad, David, but go for the gold:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/

8)
D H
Senator
Senator

Return to Technical Matters, Suggestions, Etc.