Got a problem, question?

Discussions of the technical issues involving this forum, phpBB, Unix, computers in general, and whatnot, including suggested features or styles.

Postby harper pine » Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:19 am

My computer freezes up or our telephone line goes blooey fairly often, making me lose the list of new posts. I've started printing the list of new posts when I first log on, if there are a lot of them, so I can go back to them if something goes wrong. The back of the paper is still usable.
harper pine
Statesman
Statesman

Postby Ferguson Foont » Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:51 am

Yes, that's usually what causes the problem. Posts go from the yellow "unread" indicator to the white "read" indicator BOTH when you read them AND when you log off without reading them and then log back in. Going to another website is enough to cause this nasty little effect if you return to BKP from a "favorites" item or an icon or a link, although it doesn't happen if you use your "Back" button within five minutes or so of leaving.

It's a problem, a logical flaw in the software as designed, and there is not thing #1 I can do about it.

All you can do right now is go down the forum lists and look for "last post" dates and times since your last read. What a HASSLE!

I believe that this is going to be one of the issues addressed in the 2.2 release, for which no date has yet been set but it is in advanced beta testing now so it should be soon.
Republicans whine and Republicans bitch: "Our rich are too poor, and our poor are too rich."
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

2.2 Release

Postby Gerry Stewart » Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:29 pm

>I believe that this is going to be one of the issues addressed in the 2.2 release, for which no date has yet been set but it is in advanced beta testing now so it should be soon.

Boy, am I glad to hear that! Though I seldom post here, I really love to read the posts on BKP, and I hate to miss things. This has been very frustrating, and I'm afraid my memory just won't allow me to keep track of things by post dates. Well, I'll just hang in there and look forward to the new release.
Gerry Stewart
voter
voter

Postby Kali » Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:31 pm

Gerry, you do know that right now there is a way to access "new" posts, right? It's just that you have to read them ALL before you log off, or next time you log in, they will "look" like you have already read them.
Kali
Queen
Queen

Postby Gerry Stewart » Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:40 pm

Thanks, Kali. I do indeed know that I have to read all the posts in one sitting or they will appear as having been read the next time I return. That's the problem! But I am pleased to know that help is on the way.
Gerry Stewart
voter
voter

Postby Ferguson Foont » Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:49 pm

But y'all are aware of the little link at the top right where you can "Read all posts since last visit," right?

This, however, means "last visit," so if you log in, go out, and come back, it will only show you since the "go out" part, just like the little orange thingies. They both use the same "measurement."
Republicans whine and Republicans bitch: "Our rich are too poor, and our poor are too rich."
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Postby Gerry Stewart » Sat Aug 09, 2003 3:01 pm

>This, however, means "last visit," so if you log in, go out, and come back, it will only show you since the "go out" part, just like the little orange thingies. They both use the same "measurement."

Yup. <sigh> And if I bounce around on the internet, or go out and do some gardening, whatever, then come back and enough time has elapsed for me to be automatically logged off, alas! All the orange bells have disappeared. But you did say they were going to fix this, didn't you, Ferguson? I won't be able to read everything that is written in this forum, but I sure would like to make the decision myself. This little problem certainly won't keep me from reading here, but it will mean that I'll miss things I would have liked to read, until it's fixed.
Gerry Stewart
voter
voter

Postby Ferguson Foont » Sat Aug 09, 2003 3:21 pm

Gerry Stewart wrote:>But you did say they were going to fix this, didn't you, Ferguson?

Not to sound too much like Ari Fleischer, but no, that is not exactly what I said. I said I THINK they're going to fix this in next full release, which will be v. 2.2.

They couch in terms that are not completely clear to me. For example, one of the additions will be, as they put it, "Optional server side topic read tracking ." It also will give the user the choice whether to "Jump to first unread/last post."

There will be a whole multitude of additional features, including limited-time editing of posts and the one I personally will like the most, individual banner images for each forum rather than just the one for the whole shebang.
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Postby Gerry Stewart » Sat Aug 09, 2003 3:32 pm

Sorry, Ferguson. Didn't mean to misquote you! I look forward to the improvements, and in the meantime I'll continue to enjoy reading all the wonderful posts here.
Gerry Stewart
voter
voter

Postby Honor » Sat Aug 09, 2003 3:48 pm

Thanks, Kali. :) My problem is slightly different. It was actually back to normal today. Yesterday, however, the site informed me of my new messages via the yellow bell. However, when I clicked on that topic, all the smaller bells within the topic were white. Therefore I couldn't see where the new messages were without looking at the dates and scrolling through. If I hit refresh, I will lose all of the yellow bells...a tactic I use when I don't have time to read all the new messages :wink:. Hopefully, the glitch has disappeared.
Honor
activist
activist

Bell the cat?

Postby Kali » Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:08 am

Hmm, well, when I hit "refresh" it doesnt' lose anything, it adds the graphics with their colors. I've also noticed that when there are graphics missing (bells) there are two things that happen: either the only bells that show are the yellow ones and all the missing graphics turn out to be the white (no new messages) graphics; or the only bells that show up are the white ones with no new messages, so I know to click on the missing graphics which turn out to be the yellow bells (if I could see them) which designate there are new messages. It seems to always be one or the other, not a mixture of the two, so I don't have to refresh the page to see all the "bells." But, occassionally, ALL the graphics are missing, and that's when I use the "refresh" button and it usually works and all the bell graphics become visible.

I have not (so far ) had missing graphics ("new" icons) on any page except the main page.
Kali
Queen
Queen

Postby Phoenix Woman » Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:31 pm

Hey, I'm an Alderman!

Can I be a Ward Heeler, too? (Or maybe an Australian Blue Heeler?)
Phoenix Woman
Statesman
Statesman

Postby harper pine » Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:40 pm

I want to be a horse.
harper pine
Statesman
Statesman

Postby Honor » Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:01 pm

Well, the problem seems to have disappeared. However, I have never actually seen the "bells" you all refer to. I see a little polygram that is either yellow or white. It isn't bell-shaped at all. Not that I care. I'm just curious whether others have a different icon as well.
Honor
activist
activist

Ding dong

Postby Kali » Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:15 pm

ha ha ha ....

Well, Ferg just pointed out to me that there ARE no bells, but little icons of "pages." They sure as hell looked like little bells to me. And when they move, I thought it was that the bells were ringing, signalling a message.

Uh, ding-a-ling. I do have bad eyesight, but it wasn't my eyes really. I'm a musician, so I guess I just saw bells where there were none.
Kali
Queen
Queen

Postby harper pine » Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:34 pm

I like them as bells.
harper pine
Statesman
Statesman

Postby Phoenix Woman » Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:09 pm

I'm sure y'all know about it already, but go here to find out about the latest w32 worm virus:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/fc?cid=34&t ... er_Viruses
Phoenix Woman
Statesman
Statesman

Postby Honor » Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:44 pm

Oh, Kali, that's very funny!! I didn't think you were the only one who called them bells, though. :lol:
Honor
activist
activist

Postby Kali » Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:41 pm

Honor, If you look at them quickly, they really DO look like little bells. They're shaped like bells, and when they wiggle, they look a lot like they're ringing!

OK, so I'm crazy.
Kali
Queen
Queen

Postby harper pine » Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:00 pm

I agree with you, Kali. They're bells.
harper pine
Statesman
Statesman

Previous

Return to Technical Matters, Suggestions, Etc.