Got a problem, question?

Discussions of the technical issues involving this forum, phpBB, Unix, computers in general, and whatnot, including suggested features or styles.

Got a problem, question?

Postby Kali » Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:27 am

Well? Do you? What is it?
Kali
Queen
Queen

Two problems.

Postby Kali » Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:32 am

Two problems. One is maddening, the other, slightly uncomfortable.

1. Maddening.

I find that quite often I get no "Bells" pictures (graphic) on the topics, but instead one of those "x" indications where the "bell" should be, so that I can't tell if there are new posts to read or not. Can't tell at all.

Why does it happen?

What can I do when it happens? (Besides wait it out.)

2. Slightly uncomfortable.

Pretty often, the pages widen out horizontally, and I have to scroll right to read a complete post. I'm not sure what causes it. At first I thought it was pictures (graphics) posted, but I'm not sure that's all there is to it.

Problem ONE is much more disconcerting, however, because I can't see the "new" posts when it [the problem] happens -which is pretty often.
Kali
Queen
Queen

Hmmm...

Postby Ferguson Foont » Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:03 am

A reload should solve the first problem, although I have never had any such delay. Of course, your computer is my old computer, and it shouldn't be timing out prematurely.

It's not a problem I've ever had on my new computer.

The second problem is very weird because your MSIE window is easily wide enough to accommodate everything on the page without necessitating a horizontal scroll. I have noticed display glitches, like sometimes the blurb at the top of the page widens out to overwrite a part of the logo graphic, and it must be a bug in the php scripts or in the interpreter on the host. It has happened to me, but only once or twice.

These are puzzling little anomalies, but at least we haven't gone down for six weeks like our predecessor host.
Republicans whine and Republicans bitch: "Our rich are too poor, and our poor are too rich."
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Postby David Campo » Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:37 am

<a href="http://au.news.yahoo.com/030717/11/kvue.html">Testing</a> (seeing how HTML works on this forum)

Full functionality if you uncheck "disable HTML in this post"?
David Campo
Statesman
Statesman

HTML

Postby Ferguson Foont » Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:22 pm

You have to go into your preferences and permit yourself to use HGML, and then uncheck "Disable HTML in this post."

Not every HTML tag will be recognized. I have a list of the ones that ARE recognized in the Administrative Announcements thread. If you want one added, ask me and I might do it.

Do not ask for <EMBED...> unless you enjoy wasting your time. It will NOT be added. I hate it.

I also will not add <SCRIPT...> or anything else that might be exploited to interfere with the operation of this forum.

I am wavering on <BLINK>. It's out for now because it's more often used to annoy than for emphsis.
Republicans whine and Republicans bitch: "Our rich are too poor, and our poor are too rich."
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Postby D H » Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:41 pm

I am wavering on <BLINK>.

DON'T.

It's an abomination.
<font size=-1>The whole nation is suffering from monkeypox; a monkey is in the White House, and it's a pox on us all.</font>
D H
Senator
Senator

Agreed

Postby Ferguson Foont » Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:50 pm

I agree. <BLINK> is an abomination. There are times I'd like to use it just to abominate, however.

abominate (v.): To harass by evoking emotions of outrage or disgust.

I like that!
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Post links

Postby D.C. » Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:52 pm

Is there a way to link to a post here from another forum?
D.C.
alderman
alderman

Postby D H » Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:24 am

DC,

If you look at each individual post, there's an itty bitty icon like a sheet of paper next to the date and time on each one. It's clickable, and if you right click and select 'Copy', that should get you a link to that post.
<font size=-1>The whole nation is suffering from monkeypox; a monkey is in the White House, and it's a pox on us all.</font>
D H
Senator
Senator

OK

Postby Kali » Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:58 pm

Thanks for the info.

I haven't had the "missing" button graphic happen lately, though the pages of the thread still widen out whenever there's a graphic placed within one of the posts.
Kali
Queen
Queen

Live and Learn!

Postby Ferguson Foont » Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:13 pm

Learn something new every day!

I never before realized it before right now, but you CAN jump directly to the most recent post you read in a thread. This removes what I had thought, incorrectly, was my biggest objection with the way phpBB works.

From the top-level index, "forums" containing new posts are marked by an orange page graphic to the right of the forum title and description. Those that do not contain new posts have little white pages instead of orange.

When you then go to the forum, the "topics" containing new posts move to the top of the display automatically (assuming you've got your individual preference options set to display in this manner, which is the default). Each one that contains a post since your last login will again have an orange, rather than white, little page graphic.

But just to the left of the topic name is a small black right-pointing arrow and very small orange page. If you click on this little graphic it will take you to the first unread post on the topic.

And that's how it SHOULD work. Boy am I glad I discovered this. My mouse pad was wearing out from all the scrolling.
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

FYI -- The Missing Orange Images

Postby Ferguson Foont » Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:55 pm

Several of you have noticed that the absence of an orange page graphic is not a reliable indicator that no unread posts have appeared on a forum or thread.

I think I.ve found the cause, although a solution might have to wait until the next upgrade of the software is released. If you login and you read some posts or post something and then leave to do something else before you've read all the unread posts, the next time you come back on all of the posts will no longer be "new since last login" and will no longer trigger the display of the orange indicator.

That sucks, if you ask me. The next version will deal with login records very differently and I believe it will solve the problem, but it's not out yet.

Hell, THIS version was only released on June 15.
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Postby Josiah Bartlett » Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:38 pm

What does it mean when the orange page graphic is flashing big to small? I've seen this several times but I haven't found anything to define what it means.
I too represent the Democratic side of the Democratic Party.
Josiah Bartlett
Congressman
Congressman

Postby Ferguson Foont » Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:31 pm

The little wiggling graphic means that the forum is busier than most, that's all.

I consider that to be a cutesy little annoyance rather than anything actually useful.
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Postby D H » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:48 am

I consider that to be a cutesy little annoyance rather than anything actually useful.

Amen.
D H
Senator
Senator

Postby David Campo » Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:02 am

Am I nuts, or did the thread about the draft disappear?
David Campo
Statesman
Statesman

Postby harper pine » Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:09 am

I'll start it again. We had three posts on it, and then it got disappeared by that guy.
harper pine
Statesman
Statesman

Here's What Happened

Postby Ferguson Foont » Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:55 am

I asked the system administrator if it was possible to restore an individual forum on this board from backup. He misunderstood (just like me, he panics when there's a break-in -- I LIKE that in a system administrator most of the time! It's proper cause for panic) and restored the forum from a backup he made at 4:00 a.m. yesterday morning.

I wish he'd read my message to him more carefully, because only one forum went missing ("Free for All") and when it did I decided that it would be removed from here, and with a loud, forehead-slapping utterrance of "DOH!," admitted that it was a stupid idea to put such a forum here in the first place. He restored a little after 6:00 p.m., and overwrote everything that was written between for that fourteen hours.

I made a backup at 2:17 p.m., though, and so I restored it over his restoration, replacing ten of the lost fourteen hours.

But everything between 2:17 p.m. and about 6:36 p.m. this afternoon is lost, as well as the old Free-for-All forum. The lost items include the beginning of the discussion about the draft, alas!

I'm really sorry about this and I hope we find out how it happened. To paraphrase Fred Blassie, I'd love to get my enormous, powerful hands around the pencil-neck of the geek responsible for it.
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Postby Honor » Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:58 pm

I was just in the middle of reading new posts since my last visit. At first everything went normally. I'd click on the topic with the yellow icon next to it and then click on the tiny yellow icon that would take me to the most recent posts since my last visit.

Then, all of a sudden, that function disappeared. The larger yellow icons were still present on the main index page, but when I tried to find the little icons on the next level, they were gone. I'm having difficulty describing this. They weren't actually gone. It's just that none of them were yellow. I can still find the most recent posts, but I have to scroll through them all.

Any suggestions? Is this something I did, or is it related to the upgrade? The weird thing is that it just happened a few minutes ago and about half an hour before that things were working normally.
Honor
activist
activist

Postby Kali » Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:11 am

Honor, I don't know if this is the same as your problem, but I have the little "bell" icons missing from my pages occasionally. Instead of orange or white bell icons, I see little boxes with x's in them, just like you see when a graphic won't display on any other webpage. I found that if I use the "refresh" button, the bells usually become visible again. That MAY be the same thing you're saying is happening with the little orange "new" icons. Next time it happens, try hitting the refresh button and see if they come back.

Also, I know that when you don't read ALL the new posts and you log out before they're read, when you come back in, the unread posts from your LAST visit will not show as unread. Once you log on, you've got to read ALL the new stuff, or your current "unreads" will disappear once you log out.
Kali
Queen
Queen

Next

Return to Technical Matters, Suggestions, Etc.