Here We Are

Matters pertaining to changes to this forum or anything related to forum moderation, which will be as heavy-handed as necessary.

Here We Are

Postby Ferguson Foont » Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:29 am

After a month of inaccessibility to the original Bare-Knuckles Politics, here we are. I cannot imagine we will ever be as popular as we used to be before the "upgrade" at Worldcrossing.

Let others know we're here, please.
Republicans whine and Republicans bitch: "Our rich are too poor, and our poor are too rich."
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Postby Josiah Bartlett » Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:45 am

The failure of world crossing has been a real bummer. It's sad that it died such a tragic death when the Dr. was telling us the patient would be better than ever.

The new forum looks great. It seems to take a little more to navigate but I think we can get used to it pretty easily.

FF, it's obvious that you have put a lot of work into building this site. Thank you, your work is appreciated.

JB
I too represent the Democratic side of the Democratic Party.
Josiah Bartlett
Congressman
Congressman

Yes, Navigation Is a Pain

Postby Ferguson Foont » Sun Jun 29, 2003 10:12 am

I don't have a real strong handle on this software yet, not just the technical aspects of it but the more transcendant aspects of overall design that result in user-friendliness and straightforward, intuitive data retrieval. I'd like to make it easy for y'all to find what you're looking for and put whatever you write where others will find it. I also want to make it look nice, and there's a lot (background images, for instance) that "should work" but doesn't.

I also haven't figured out how to allow the use of standard HTML coding in posts, something that this software is SUPPOSED to permit optionally but darned if I can find it.

In a way, the limitations of Worldcrossing were a blessing. You always knew where everything was. It's easy to get lost here. I have tried to use the developer's forum, which of course employs this software but contains hundreds of thousands of posts, and I threw up my hands in frustration.
Republicans whine and Republicans bitch: "Our rich are too poor, and our poor are too rich."
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

So here you are!

Postby Gerry Stewart » Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:03 pm

Hi, Ferguson! I'm so glad you've got a forum set up. I've really missed reading your wonderful posts since the WorldCrossing crash and burn.

It's funny, though I've often thought of Bare-Knuckles Politics, this morning I just had a whim to do a Google search, and TA DA! (cue Twilight Zone music)

I hope it's okay if I post a link over at TAPA (new home is at Peoples Forum.) I know several people there would like to know you're back up and running.
Gerry Stewart
voter
voter

Google?

Postby Ferguson Foont » Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:13 pm

Hi, Ferguson! I'm so glad you've got a forum set up. I've really missed reading your wonderful posts since the WorldCrossing crash and burn.

It's funny, though I've often thought of Bare-Knuckles Politics, this morning I just had a whim to do a Google search, and TA DA! (cue Twilight Zone music)

I hope it's okay if I post a link over at TAPA (new home is at Peoples Forum.) I know several people there would like to know you're back up and running.

Welcome Gerry!

Yes, by all means, please post a link on TAPA and wherever else you see fit. Thanks.

And, you found this on GOOGLE? Jeesh! I only opened it up for the first time late last night well after midnight.
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Postby Gerry Stewart » Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:54 pm

Thanks, Ferguson. I already went ahead and posted a link at TAPA. I know a number of people there will be very happy to see it. I'm still a little wowed that I googled this morning! It really hadn't occurred to me before. Must have been the aroma of good things cooking! I hope all the old crew will find their way here soon. It took a while for people to find the new TAPA (which is about three weeks old now, I think), but gradually just about everybody has found it. Wishing you all the best!
Gerry Stewart
voter
voter

Hey FF!

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:38 pm

I followed the yellow brick road that Gerry built, and here you are!

Congratulations on your resurrection! It has been so frustrating as a forum user to lose WorldX; I can only imagine your frustration as a forum moderator.

I sent you an email a while back -- guess you were already working on this option.

Good luck with it!

Hey FF!

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:40 pm

I followed the yellow brick road that Gerry built, and here you are!

Congratulations on your resurrection! It has been so frustrating as a forum user to lose WorldX; I can only imagine your frustration as a forum moderator.

I sent you an email a while back -- guess you were already working on this option.

Good luck with it!

Zan

Hey, it won't accept my name in the USERNAME box -- says somebody else has it. Huh? I just registered as Zan minutes ago.

Guest?

Postby Gerry Stewart » Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:44 pm

Hi, Zan! Good to see you here.

I was going "whaaa? Who would register as "Guest?" I daresay Ferguson can sort it out.
Gerry Stewart
voter
voter

Zan, Thanks

Postby Ferguson Foont » Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:19 pm

Zan, I show you as a registered user.

But thanks, because until your post I was unaware that "guest" could post here. When I created the forums, I did not know that the default permissions permitted anonymous posting.

I fixed that toot sweet, I can tell you.

Although I have sweeping new powers to permit and to block use here on a forum-by-forum basis and by more effective means than just usernames to block abuse, I do not believe that I can "moderate" posts, that is, have them submitted to me for approval before publication, as I could on Worldcrossing.

I can, however, assign privileges by group and limit some groups to some forums, and then move posts. That'll take some thinking to make it work like it used to, and I'm a little burned out today.
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Postby Josiah Bartlett » Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:42 pm

Zan,

I ran into the same thing when I first registered. After you register, you have to log in, then you can post under your own name.

JB
I too represent the Democratic side of the Democratic Party.
Josiah Bartlett
Congressman
Congressman

Actually It's Even More Complex Than That!

Postby Ferguson Foont » Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:27 pm

In order to post you first must register. You have a link to the registration form up at the top of the page.

After you submit your registration you will immediately be sent an email to the address you indicated in your registration. You must then click on a link in the email in order to activate your registration.

The URL of the required reply is rather long and wraps on some email clients. If it has done so on yours you will have to cut-and-paste it into your browser; if it has wrapped, simply clicking on it probably will not do and will bring you to a page not found.
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Just FYI

Postby Ferguson Foont » Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:32 pm

Registered users can create new threads (called "Topics" by this software; this one is "Here We Are") and posts (called "replies" here). If you want a new "Forum" (this is "Administrative Announcements and Forum Moderation") or "Categories" (this one is "Bare-Knuckles Politics Administrative and Technical Matters") you will have to ask me to do it for you.
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Thanks

Postby zan » Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:48 pm

Okay, this should work.

Thanks for the help.

I'll look forward to checking in for great insights.

I've said it elsewhere ... I'll say it here. BKP saved me. When I first found it -- what, a year and a half ago -- I had no one to talk to in real life or virtual life that could comprehend my fears about the state of things.

Thanks for being there.

Zan
zan
voter
voter

Postby D H » Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:36 pm

Looks like I made it in!

Thanks for the hard work, Ferg.
<font size=-1>The whole nation is suffering from monkeypox; a monkey is in the White House, and it's a pox on us all.</font>
D H
Senator
Senator

Postby David Campo » Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:43 pm

Thanks Ferg!

So...a question...can I invite a friend who's one of us to post here?

Her name is Jo, and she and I have talked politics forever. She's very much an activist, and very interested in joining a political forum. I think she'd like it here, and I think her thoughts would be appreciated by the others here.
David Campo
Statesman
Statesman

Sure!

Postby Ferguson Foont » Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:37 pm

Invite everyone you want. I'm not as restrictive here as I was on the old BKP. At least not yet.
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Postby Cyberia » Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:04 pm

Ferguson, I am so proud of you!

Anybody who hasn't paid much attention to the wild gyrations of the WX collapse - mostly the sheer amount of pointless, clueless bitching - perhaps wouldn't appreciate how rare and valuable Ferguson is. But I did, and I do, and so should we all! There's still a "New Delhi Trainwreck", bitching and moaning, back there. But Ferguson climbed on his horse and did something!! And it works, too!!

BRAVO!
Cyberia
Statesman
Statesman

Perhaps Half.

Postby Ferguson Foont » Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:41 pm

Valuable? Doubtful. Rare? Almost certainly.

We'll see how this works. It's not quite right yet but at least it's getting hit, not as hard as the original yet but harder than the Refuge ever was.
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Postby harper pine » Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:36 pm

Ferguson, I just read the rules, and I don't know what a mindless flame is or a "Free Republic" something or other. I'm a little worried that I might be doing it wrong. Thanks.
harper pine
Statesman
Statesman

Next

Return to Administrative Announcements and Forum Moderation