Banned User ID (for apparent DOS attack)

Matters pertaining to changes to this forum or anything related to forum moderation, which will be as heavy-handed as necessary.

Banned User ID (for apparent DOS attack)

Postby Ferguson Foont » Thu May 17, 2007 9:05 am

I have just received notice that I have exceeded my monthly bandwidth allotment from the ISP that houses this forum. I believe that this was a deliberate act of sabotage that originated at the IP address 38.99.13.117, which has been online now using the guest account for several days, logging in multiple (up to twenty) times simultaneously.

This is an account on a Cogent Communications domain. I have banned this IP address, but if the problem crops up again from this block of addresses I shall ban the entire ISP. I have contacted Cogent's administrators and reported this abuse.

The joke, actually, is on the person who attempted this denial of service attack. I am on very good terms with the proprietors of the ISP on which this account is hosted and they will take no action against me for exceeding bandwidth quotas or anything else. There have been no noticeable slowdowns of any kind.

But to the little weenie who tried this, you're pinched. I'm obtaining the logs from the ISP even as we speak and transferring them to Cogent (who knows who you are) for action. It is a crime to engage in a denial of service attack and I will be quite happy to see you prosecuted for it and will assist in whatever manner I am able.
Republicans whine and Republicans bitch: "Our rich are too poor, and our poor are too rich."
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Just In Case...

Postby Ferguson Foont » Sat May 19, 2007 8:01 am

Please, legitimate readers or members of this forum who find themselves locked out, please notify me at foont@bareknuckles.org. I am banning the IP addresses of anyone that the logs indicate have engaged in DOS attacks to this forum.

One of the chief indicators of such attacks is multiple simultaneous accesses from a single IP address onto the guest account. If your node has been prevented from accessing this forum, please explain to me in your email why you have engaged in this activity, and if I am satisfied as to your explanation, your guest access will be reinstated.

Of course, if you've already been banned, you won't see this, so I guess you're out of luck.
Republicans whine and Republicans bitch: "Our rich are too poor, and our poor are too rich."
Ferguson Foont
Sovereign
Sovereign

Return to Administrative Announcements and Forum Moderation